| Bushy's Boss Wants
Bush's Brewery boss Martin Brunnschweiler is urging TT
organisers to make a decision on this year's event as soon as possible. He said
he has to assume the TT is going ahead but for every day no decision is made he
is spending more cash.
'We have a lot to lose if the TT doesn't go
ahead,' he said, 'but by the same token I would rather have a quick decision
now rather than it being called off much closer to the event.' He said a lot of
organisation has to take place a couple of months in advance, including brewing
more beer. He said: 'A late decision is the last thing we want.
started making a little more beer now and if the decision is in the balance
we'll have to keep brewing more beer in case it does go ahead. 'We are due to
step up beer production next week and we have other people, such as those who
make the T-shirts and other memorabilia, screaming for deposits.
also order thousands of plastic glasses and they'll want an order very soon.
'But there is the potential for losing quite a lot of money.' The brewery is
behind the successful tent at the Bottleneck car park which is the central
attraction during the TT events on Douglas promenade.
But he believes
visitors may still come over regardless because they have already booked a
holiday here. He said: 'If the racing is called off we may still have an influx
of bikers over and we have to think about that possibility.' Kevin O'Brien,
resident director of the Hilton Hotel and Casino, Douglas, said there are still
plans to put on entertainment if the TT is cancelled.
He said: 'From a
hotel casino point of view it will have a severe impact on us if it doesn't go
ahead although there has been feedback that possibly people who have already
booked will still come. 'Working at this moment at this kind of outlook we are
still intending to put on entertainment during the TT fortnight.'
added: 'We have a 75 per cent entertainment plan in place should there be a
change for the worse. If it does go ahead we will be going full throttle as
Meanwhile commentator Peter Kneale, known as the voice of the
TT, said: 'I think it is in the hands of the people who know.
I am sure
they will make the correct decision at the right time.' Roger Hurst, chairman
of the TT Marshals' Association, said it is continuing to plan as though the TT
is going ahead. He said: 'We are saying watch this space. People are committed
to come over anyway. I would say it is a difficult decision whoever has got to
make it. God forbid if we got foot-and-mouth, it would be devastating. 'Riders
from New Zealand and America don't know whether to crate their bikes to send
them over. 'We are still planning as though the TT is going ahead.'
Back to Features Index
|Read about your favourite riders and what they think
about the the Isle of Man TT Course and Road Racing in general. [