Features Interviews Forums Shop Links Contacts
Visitor Info
TT Message Board
TT Chat Room
Ladies in Racing
TT History
TT Map

TT Supporters Club Merchandise Sale

Read the latest local news here.

The TT Supporters Club

 Southern 100 Cancelled

The Southern 100 has become the latest victim of the foot-and-mouth crisis. Organisers have decided to postpone the July road races until September due to the continuing epidemic in the UK. The committee felt that due to recent cases in the north of England and following consultation with the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry in consideration of the local farmers and community, it would be unwise to run the event on the planned dates, July 16 to 19.

Meanwhile a decision was due to be made by Transport Minister Tony Brown about whether the Mountain Road will be one way on Sunday, which was the scheduled date for Mad Sunday. In terms of the Southern 100, legislation has passed through the branches of Tynwald to allow the event to go ahead on the weekend of September 14 to 16.

Southern 100 committee secretary George Peach said: 'I am very disappointed that the Southern 100 is not running on its traditional dates in July, although I am sure that when we get the event going it will be as good if not better than normal and look forward to seeing all the riders here at Castletown.'

All entries fees that have been received so far will be refunded in full over the next week or so and new regulations and entry forms for the rescheduled meeting will also be sent out as soon as they have been approved and printed. Phil Taubman, clerk of the course, said: 'With the continuing outbreaks of foot-and-mouth in the UK it was not a difficult decision to postpone the Southern 100.

'I feel sure that the event in September, although shortened to three days, will be as exciting as ever with a full entry.' Club chairman Derek Nicholson added: 'It is very regrettable that the Southern 100 committee has had to make the decision to postpone the Steam Packet Southern 100 National Road Races, but having regard to the foot-and-mouth situation at present I feel it is the correct decision.'

Regular competitor Adrian McFarland has expressed his personal disappointment that the races have been postponed, but said he looked forward to travelling to the Island in September to compete on the Billown course.

Post your views on the TT Website Message Board To comment on this article please use the
TT Message Board

Back to Features Index

© TT Website