TT Website Forum
MIXED FORTUNES FOR MAP CENTURION TRIUMPH AT OULTON - Printable Version

+- TT Website Forum (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Isle of Man TT Website (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Other Race Meetings - MotoGP, WSB & BSB, Irish Roads etc - (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: MIXED FORTUNES FOR MAP CENTURION TRIUMPH AT OULTON (/showthread.php?tid=9067)

MIXED FORTUNES FOR MAP CENTURION TRIUMPH AT OULTON - Malcolm - 03-05-2010

[Image: mapcenturionlogo.gif]

It was a day of mixed fortunes for the MAP Centurion Triumph British Championship race team following a day of drama at round three of the series at Oulton Park in Cheshire today.

In the third round of the Fuchs-Silkolene British Supersport Championship, the weather played a major part as morning sunshine gave way to scattered showers as the riders assembled on the grid meaning a brief wet practice session was declared.

The drama started during the session for Yarm-based South African Allan Jon Venter who stepped off during that session meaning he was unable to take to the start leaving Stroud's Daniel Cooper to be the only MAP Centurion Triumph in the race.

However, Cooper, who won the corresponding race twelve months ago, looked as if he'd join his team-mate on the sidelines when he had to take to the grass on the opening lap to avoid a fallen rider meaning he was well down the order before battling back to take a creditable fourth place at the flag

With Venter not adding to his scores in the previous two rounds at Brands Hatch and Thruxton, Venter holds 16th in the title chase with Cooper elevating himself to eighth going into the next round at Cadwell Park in three weeks time.

There was worse frustration for the team's two riders in the Metzeler National Superstock 600 when an opening lap crash brought out the red flag and with the 6.30pm noise curfew imminent, there was no time to re-start the race meaning the race will have to be rescheduled, possibly at the British round of the World Superbike Championship at Silverstone in August.

Whenever it is re-run, Lingfield rider Jimmy Hill, who was celebrating his 21st birthday at Oulton Park today, will start from the front row of the grid with Huddersfield's Josh Caygill occupying row six of the grid.

[Image: dcooperoulton.jpg]
Daniel Cooper at Oulton Park today

Daniel Cooper:

"I thought the worst when I was heading for the grass to avoid Dan Kneen on the first lap but luckily I managed to stay on but rejoined about last. I was 24th at the end of lap one so to battle back up to fourth at the flag was OK, but a few more laps and I think I could have pushed for the podium, I just ran out of laps. After the disappointment of Thruxton, I'm pleased to get some more points on the board and look forward to Cadwell now."

Allan Jon Venter:

"What can I say? I'm so disappointed but these things happen. I was trying to get a good setting as we'd had no time on the wet track this weekend and the next thing is I'm sliding down the track. There was no way we could get the bike back and repaired in time so I had to sit out the race but it's made me more determined to get a good result at Cadwell Park."

Paul Rees, Team Principal:

"One result from four riders isn't what we envisaged but it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Daniel did a magnificent job and rode really well in difficult conditions and but for a couple laps more would have had a podium for sure and it was a shame that AJ missed the race as he paid a big price for a small mistake. I feel especially sorry for Jimmy and Josh who waited around all day only for the Superstock 600 race to be postponed due to time restrictions but I'm hoping we get to re-run it at Silverstone WSB, which I've heard is a possibility, and if so that would be a good place to showcase their talents."

Fuchs-Silkolene British Supersport result (16 laps)

1 Ben Wilson (Kawasaki)
2 Sam Lowes (GNS Racing Honda) +0.361s
3 Jack Kennedy (Yamaha) +9.269s
4 Dan Cooper (MAP Centurion Triumph) +11.615s
5 Glen Richards (Honda) +15.611s
6 Tom Grant (Yamaha) +22.453s
7 Patrick McDougall (Yamaha) +22.682s
8 Jesse Trayler (Kawasaki) +29.253s
9 Jenny Tinmouth (Honda) +32.279s
10 Mark Cringle (Triumph) +32.958s
DNS AJ Venter (MAP Centurion Triumph)