Launch of pre-TT safety campaign
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Launch of pre-TT safety campaign
[Image: mygovimlogo.gif]

A Pre-TT safety campaign has been launched by the island’s Roads Policing Unit to address a traditional rise in casualties in the run up to the festival.

As part of the drive, extra police patrols will focus on the mountain road which police say is busy and particularly popular with motorcyclists.

Inspector Mark Britton, head of the Roads Policing Unit, said:

‘We will do everything we possibly can to reduce casualties on the mountain at this time of year.

‘Together we are launching Mountain Safe; this initiative is not just about enforcement and increased officer presence it is about asking people to take responsibility for their own conduct on the mountain.

‘Bikers make up a larger proportion of traffic on the mountain and they are, by their nature, vulnerable. They represent a disproportionately high number of casualties.’

The initiative has been launched to coincide with the rise in summer traffic as riders traditionally take their bikes out of winter storage and general traffic peaks over the bank holiday weekends.

All motorists are being reminded the Mountain Road has two way traffic at all times other than during TT fortnight. Drivers are being reminded to take extra care to look out for motorcycles by checking blind spots and being aware bikes can approach at speed from unexpected directions.

Infrastructure Minister Phil Gawne MHK said:

‘Traditionally the last bank holiday before TT is when those Manx bikers who have stored their machine during the winter take it for the first ride of the year, so if you are riding or driving just take that extra second to look for bikes before making a manoeuvre.

‘If it is your first outing, spend a little time checking your machine, especially tyre pressures and condition, your fluid levels are all topped up, chain is lubricated and properly adjusted and, finally, practise a couple of stops to ensure your brakes are fully efficient.’

The team is promoting the campaign at the Ramsey bike show in Mooragh Park on Monday.

Police are also carrying out safety checks in conjunction with PSV examiners at the grandstand in Douglas on Friday.

Officers are reminding drivers to check blind spots before changing lanes and to be aware of bikes filtering through traffic.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
21-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Website Find Reply