Michael Dunlop battles through pain to win Ulster GP opener
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Michael Dunlop battles through pain to win Ulster GP opener
[Image: ugphdr2012.jpg]

Michael Dunlop battled through the pain barrier to win the opening Superstock race at Saturday's Ulster Grand Prix.

Dunlop has been suffering from two slipped discs in his back but came in ahead of veteran Ian Lougher and Guy Martin in the opener at Dundrod.

Lincolnshire rider Martin led early on but said that difficulty reading his pit board had affected his chances in the second half of the race.

"I was reading the wrong board. I thought I had got a penalty," he said.

"I thought I had been penalised for a jump-start. I was obviously reading somebody else's pit board that looked like mine but it's very difficult when you are going at about 160mph."

[Image: mdunlopstockwinugp2012.jpg]

Some pundits have been predicting that Dunlop could equal Phillip McCallen's 16-year old record of five wins in one day at the Ulster Grand Prix and he made the perfect start on Saturday.

"My back is not in the best condition but once I get back on the bike, I'm not too bad," said Dunlop after the win.

"It's just when I'm getting on and off the bike that it is sore, but I'm happy, I'll just have to ride harder on Saturday."

Dunlop came into the meeting as favourite after securing five wins at the Southern 100, two at Walderstown and a hat-trick at Armoy.

His status was enhanced by a victory in the feature Dundrod 150 Superbike race on Thursday.

Behind the first three, Bruce Anstey took fourth with Conor Cummins and Lee Johnston in fifth and sixth places in Saturday's opener.

RESULTS

SUPERSTOCK

1. M Dunlop

2. I Lougher

3. G Martin

[Image: bbcsport.gif]
11-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Website Find Reply