Lee Johnston in sponsorship coup for North West 200
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Lee Johnston in sponsorship coup for North West 200
[Image: leejohnstonprenw200.jpg]

Fermanagh’s Lee Johnston is celebrating a new sponsorship deal ahead of next week’s Vauxhall International North West 200.

The East Coast Racing rider has secured backing from Pirtek for the first big road race of the season and has unveiled a new-look colour scheme as he prepares for the first practice session at the seaside meeting on Tuesday, May 13.

The 25-year-old is among a long list of rostrum contenders at the North West and is targeting a third top-three finish after claiming podium results in the Superstock race in 2012 and again last year in the rain-shortened Supersport race.

Johnston, who finished ninth in the National Superstock 1000 race at Oulton Park in Cheshire on Bank Holiday Monday, said: “This is a new deal for the North West and I am really chuffed to bits that Pirtek wanted to get involved with our team.

“Everybody goes racing to win and I am no different than the other ten boys who could take a race at the North West.

“It’s been nice to get podiums in front of your home crowd but I think it is time to win now,”
he added.

“I suppose my best chances will be in the Supersport and Superstock races but we are getting the Superbike sorted now and everything is coming together well. There will be a final test at Cadwell this week to get it dialled in and then it’s straight into the North West.”

Last year’s leading privateer at the Isle of Man TT, Johnston will compete in the Superbike, Superstock and Supersport races at the international meetings this year on Honda machinery and will also ride a Kawasaki ER6 in the Supertwin races.

His preparation for this year’s North West has been much smoother than it was last year after he broke his leg in a BSB meeting at Thruxton only four weeks before race day.

“I’ve been doing plenty of laps on the ’Stocker and I really like riding the Honda,” Johnston said.

“It might not be the fastest bike out there but Bruce Anstey showed last year that it was still capable of making the podium.

“I had a top ten at Oulton on it last weekend and I’m feeling good.”

Pirtek, an emergency hydraulic hose replacement firm with an outlet in Newtownabbey, are also the sponsors of Thursday evening’s Superstock race.

Johnston will be joined at the Portrush venue on Monday and Tuesday by 2013 British Touring Car champion, Andrew Jordan, who is also sponsored by Pirtek.

“I’m looking forward to meeting Andrew,” he said. “He has already won three races in the championship this year so there’s no pressure there then.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
08-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Website Find Reply