Parade lap
boakesey Away

Threads: 65

Don Simons Wrote:Yes,good idea and put their initials on their number plates so new fans can recognise them all.
If there must be a parade lap then my thoughts are that it should be slowed right down and spaced out so people can get a good look at the machinery and riders.
Currently by the time you have focused on Ago going out of sight, Jim Redman is right in front of you, either that or they go past in a pack of five riders so you can't hear them individually.
Also a lot more participants are needed as the parade laps I have seen are over in a flash.

If it were possible to put on another race for classic bikes, or something different from the producion bikes, instead of a parade lap, then I feel the spectators would at least go home with a varied experience.

Absolutely!

I adore/love/worship/crave .... insert superlative here /.....
the vintage and classic machines. There's something evocative about the sound of these wonderful machines and the unmistakeable smell of 2-stokes takes me right back to my childhood when I was allowed - as a very special treat - a ride down to the local shops on the back of my Uncle's BSA or Norton! Happy days indeed.

I enjoyed the re-enactment; the Pre-TT Classics at Billown and both Laps of Honour of the Mountain course, but do prefer it when the machines are released in ones or twos (on their own is preferable), with a decent gap in between to give one the chance to savour the memories and appreciate the details - as well as (from a professional point of view!) get decent photos.

When the machines all come through at speed in a great big blast-from-the past (literally), it's very exciting, I agree, but it's over in a flash and there's then a feeling of anti-climax. You miss half the machines/riders and can't indentify the tone of individual machines from the cacophony - Ok, it's a din!- of all the machines together. I also suspect that the noise-abatement killjoys have a field day when this happens, whereas 1/2 machines together is within tolerable limits IMO.

Having said that, the classic races themselves are superb and it's great to see these older machines (and reproductions) doing what they were intended to do, instead of just gathering dust in a garage or looking good on display somewhere. Keep the machines in fine fettle, by all means, but RIDE them as well - keep the memories alive whilst we still can.

To sum up, I'd like to see "Lap(s) of Honour with no more than 2 bikes together; the riders easily identified, at sensible time intervals and also Classic race(s) on the TT mountain course as well as down at Billown.

Finally, I nearly forgot to say that the current champions should also take part and have their chance to "bimble" round the course to see (and be seen by) their numerous and appreciative fans.

Right, I'm getting down off my soapbox now....

Boakesey
....scone out to take photos!
13-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Parade lap - by jasjas - 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
[No subject] - by beepee - 12-06-2007, 09:07 PM
[No subject] - by John Foster - 12-06-2007, 10:35 PM
[No subject] - by Baylon McCaughey - 12-06-2007, 11:56 PM
[No subject] - by thewitch - 12-06-2007, 11:58 PM
[No subject] - by Don Simons - 13-06-2007, 04:03 AM
[No subject] - by boakesey - 13-06-2007, 06:02 PM