Use it or lose it!!
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

thewitch Wrote:until the terrible last few minutes, which were not the fault of anyone.
You may choose to zap this Helen, but I strongly object to your assuming this - there is to be an inquest, there should hopefully be an enquiry, and there is a raft of possibilities that these could reveal.
I am making no assertions or accusations but it is possible that the post mortems could decide for example, that the spectators should not have been where they were either by being in a non-approved place, or that the place should have been assessed as too dangerous, that the marshalls were in a needlessly dangerous place, that they were settled down with chairs, blankets and flasks so were unable to react to events, that the organisers were criminally liable for the deaths through negligence in their inspections of the spectator positions, marshalls' posts, ability of the marshalls, equipment issued to the marshalls, the pre-race inspection of the machine, the competence of the rider. The list goes on, but I am sure you get my point?
Until all these and other factors have been examined in depth by competent people, it is surely very wrong to just decide that it "just happened"?
Of course, the decisions could just follow the pattern of all the others over the years, and come up with the usual "death by misadventure", ensuring nothing is done until there is a bigger tragedy.
The TT has reached a significant crossroads, having been largely destroyed by the Isle of Man authorities prioritising the desires of the later immigrants and not preserving their heritage by allowing so many bumps, curves and bends to be removed that the only way to maintain a challenge is to permit faster and faster motorcycles, meaning there is no way back. Instead of jumping up and down at the 130mph lap, the race should be made more difficult to complete at lower speeds - the problem now is that the course is so smooth and straight that the biggest danger on say a 500 Manx would be falling asleep in some sections! I remember when the Cronk-y-Voddy straight used to slam me around so much I had double vision, and the old Farmer Giles' played up for weeks afterwards! The tv coverage this year showed it to be so smooth you could write a letter on the tank-top as you went along.
No doubt this will all be far too negative for you, or ruled out because I have long since given up coming over until and unless the races find a way to interest me and many others. There are many things that could and should be done - with respect I suggest you are close to being in the "heads-in-the-sand" and "no one must say anything bad" camp.
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
08-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Use it or lose it!! - by Splashdown - 07-07-2007, 04:18 PM
[No subject] - by PeterCourtney - 07-07-2007, 06:02 PM
[No subject] - by thewitch - 07-07-2007, 06:32 PM
TT Looking Forward.. - by irishago - 07-07-2007, 07:55 PM
[No subject] - by larryd - 07-07-2007, 08:03 PM
[No subject] - by Anonymous - 07-07-2007, 10:18 PM
[No subject] - by Jan Grainger - 07-07-2007, 11:40 PM
[No subject] - by Tom Loughridge - 08-07-2007, 12:33 AM