Honda
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39

Hello everyone

This topic was brought to my attention today, and whilst I don't want to get into any lengthy exchanges on the topic of Honda and the TT, there does seem to be some inaccurate rumors circulating on the Island at the moment, and perhaps I can offer a little more information on the subject.

First of all, there is no dispute between Honda and the Department of Tourism and Leisure. Of course, I would say that wouldn't I, however if any of you are able to speak to Steve Martingdale (MD of Honda UK), Neil Tuxworth (Manager of Honda Racing UK), Dave Hancock (R&D Manager of Honda UK) or Mark Davies (MD of Honda Europe) they would all confirm this without hesitation, of that I am certain.

There is no denying that Honda had some issues with the TT this year that they would like to see addressed for the future, many of which already have been addressed, but this is normal of any relationship. Likewise, we had some issues with Honda we would like to see addressed for the future, and we have discussed these issues with them.

Honda UK have been very supportive of the recent change to the organisational structure of the TT, and have been involved in the consultation stage of producing the 2008 TT Regulations. I have spent a lot of time lately talking to Honda and all the other major manufacturers and teams of late on a number of issues concerning the development of the TT, and this is something that happens throughout the year. It is fair to say that the relationship between the Department and the motorcycle manufacturers as a group is very strong at the moment, and the TT's credibility inside of the industry is very high. Honda also recently held a leadership conference on the Island, which the Department was involved in on the event planning and facilitation.

I have also been talking to Honda about plans for TT 2009, when their racing arm celebrate their 50th anniversary, and it is fair to say, that there could be some exciting plans for the future.

Now to correct a couple of points which are simply not right. Honda have not withdrawn machinery for the Traveling Marshals at the TT. That said, they may not be the provider in 2009, and there are several companies vying for the rights to be the official motorcycle partner of the TT from 2008 onwards.

Honda will also be at the TT in 2008. Hydrex Bikeanimal.Com Honda are already confirmed with Guy Martin at the helm, and they have been upgraded in status to an official HRC backed team for 2008 for BSB and the TT. There is also something else in the offing with Honda I am working on at present, along with John McGuinness. More details on that will be announced at the TT Press Launch, due to be held in the near future.

Finally, is is nice that someone thinks that I 'fixed' the TT, but I agree with nipper, in so much as that is a bit of a strong statement! Whilst I would like to think I have played my part, the recent success the event has enjoyed has been brought about by the hard work of many individuals and organisations across the public, private and voluntary sectors. There is no doubt however, that the event is in good health at present and can look forward to an exciting future, particularly from a sporting perspective, with more and more high quality riders and teams looking to be involved going forward.

Best wishes

Paul
12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Honda - by FC - 11-01-2008, 10:04 PM
[No subject] - by thewitch - 11-01-2008, 11:13 PM
[No subject] - by larryd - 12-01-2008, 01:02 AM
[No subject] - by FC - 12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
[No subject] - by alf885 - 12-01-2008, 11:01 AM
[No subject] - by Paul Phillips - 12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
[No subject] - by FC - 12-01-2008, 10:19 PM