Barry Hibbett, Chief EMRA scrutineer and TT Scrutineer
tina Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
RE: Barry Hibbett, Chief EMRA scrutineer and TT Scrutineer
I would just like to personally thank everyone for all of their support and good wishes over the last few weeks, and that of the IOM TT organisers and friends who knew Barry so well over many years.

Interestingly there is another post on this site questionning when dad first got involved in the IOM TT in 2006, and I know that there is always a great deal of speculation around officials etc. Dad had some strong views on racing in the UK and i would just like to share a few.

Dad started racing when he was 18, and quit when 34 (1972) after an accident at Cadwell. I dont know when he first went to the Island, but I have found some amazing footage of the Manx in 72/73 77/78, and in 87/89/90 was on the scrutineering team. He spent over 10 years as Chief at British and International level, whilst always continuing to do club meetings. Growing up its was pretty much all I knew.

Whilst he absolutely supported the sport being commercially viable, much to peoples annoyance sometimes Dad was never interested in the politics, it was always about the rider, whether that be around safety or fairness, and at all levels he fought for these core elements throughout.

As with many officials Dad never at any level or any event (SBK/BSB/TT/EMRA/Darley) got paid, and I know that this is difficult in this age, to believe but it is absolute fact. He faced the politics, the demands, the challenges because he was passionate about the sport and the people in it, and not for financial or ego led gain.

We all moan (including me) sometimes about officials and red tape, but if Dad was around now he would want to remind everyone that it is your sport, whether as an official or rider or team member etc its really upto you where it goes.

The ballpark average age of a scrutineer these days has to be over 60, but see, very few people when their racing finishes or they run out of moneyRolleyes have the passion, or other demands take over, which means they cant give up their time for free to put back into the sport.

To keep it real we need to remember its not them and us, and without people giving up their freetime to give back to the sport, there actually is no sport. Officials (and particularly Scrutineers) are fast becoming endangered species, who of you out there are going to take over...?

Sermon over smilie

Ultimately to me Dad was Dad he also put alot of pressure on himself for UK racing, but he would have done it all again Im sure. From a family view Im last in the line, he was my dad and I miss him like mad, so the support of everyone in the sport has been amazing, but be warned - am on a one woman mission to bring the average age of a scrutineer down at least a couple of years smilie
(This post was last modified: 18-03-2008, 03:14 PM by tina.)
18-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Barry Hibbett, Chief EMRA scrutineer and TT Scrutineer - by thewitch - 19-01-2008, 12:01 PM
[No subject] - by nutty slack - 19-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Barry's Funeral Details - by steve-e - 20-01-2008, 09:28 PM
RE: Barry Hibbett, Chief EMRA scrutineer and TT Scrutineer - by tina - 18-03-2008, 02:12 PM