Race Schedule and date finalised for 2011 North West 200 - No More 125cc Racing
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Race Schedule and date finalised for 2011 North West 200 - No More 125cc Racing
[Image: relenlessnorthwesthdr.gif]

Coleraine & District Motor Club Ltd, organisers of the International North West 200 have confirmed that next year’s road racing event will take place on Saturday 21st May 2011 with official practice sessions on Tuesday 17th and Thursday 19th May. Introduced for the first time last year, the Club plans to continue with daytime practice on Thursday with roads closing at 9.30am and re-opening by 3pm at the latest. As in previous years, Tuesday’s practice will remain an evening session with roads closed from 5pm until 9.30pm.

The Coleraine Club will also next year promote a five race programme featuring two Superbike and two 600cc races in addition to the Superstock race. Traditionally only the main NW200 race has been run over 6 laps however in 2011 all five events will be 6 lap races.

After serious consideration the Club has taken the decision not to run the 125cc class as the number of entries has continued to decline over the past few years and it is now no longer viable to operate this particular race category.

Explained Mervyn Whyte MBE,

“It has proved difficult to attract a large number of top quality competitors to enter the 125cc race and regrettably we had to remove it from our racing programme. In 2010 only 19 riders took part in the 125 with 16 competitors crossing the finish line. However having increased the number of laps in four of our existing races we believe the NW200 2011 will offer a thrilling and exciting programme for both diehard fans and new visitors and will provide the ultimate challenge for all competitors.”

Commenting on the road closing format for 2011, Mervyn Whyte said,

“Daytime practice was undoubtedly a bonus last May as it provided sufficient time for both regulars and newcomers to gain valuable practice time around the course. It was an integral part of our overall strategy to further improve safety around the circuit for riders, spectators and officials. I would like to thank residents, traders, schools and the farming community located in and around the 8.9 mile course for their continued support, tolerance and understanding and we look forward to working closely with everyone again next year.”

The International North West 200 is currently in the process of appointing a new operations manager and it is anticipated the person will be in place from January 2011. Mervyn Whyte will then take on a new role as Technical Director acting as advisor and mentor to the new staff member. Experienced official Stanleigh Murray will take over as Clerk of Course and will also be responsible for operational duties and the management team. First installed in Autumn last year, the executive team manages a range of activities including safety, the paddock, general duties, communications, finance, operations and course set up.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 19-11-2010, 08:44 PM by Malcolm.)
19-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Website Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Race Schedule and date finalised for 2011 North West 200 - No More 125cc Racing - by Malcolm - 19-11-2010, 04:42 PM