Isle of Man TT world series plan remains viable, says minister
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Isle of Man TT world series plan remains viable, says minister
I've always been confused about what they think they have to sell anybody.  The IOM TT is a unique event, a timed reliability trial on public roads on a very pretty island held for a fortnight and having over 100 years of history; nowhere else does. Its quite different even to its nearby cousins -ulster/nw200 which are proper races with massed starts. Its very unlikely that they or anyone else would pay money to brand them as 'TT world series' events. 

There are already/have already been a number of races called TT (Assen for instance) so its very unlikely that the IOM have much right to licence races that name particularly in those places. Theres probably only 5-6 teams at the TT who would have any sort of chance of doing any sort of championship around the world and there certainly are no other present road circuits which would ever be granted licences to have any form of world championship round. Many countries like England don't allow road closures for racing and to be fair if you tried to do a respectable risk assessment for a fresh road course it would be nearly impossible and also  probably uninsurable in many proper countries.

That would leave the choice of round-y-round circuits and the problems there are that 1. not many of the top road racers would stand a chance against WSB chaps/local wildcards, 2 It would look very similar to a WSB championship and the FIM etc ain't going to have that. 3 you'd end up the same as when the TT lost its championship status and you'd find that it would be won by semi retired Rossi/Marquez or whoever, who would  manage to avoid (by whatever means) the IOM round. 

Only a really warped marketing/PR/Branding man (like the ones that did the BA tailfins, painted BT vans invisible grey, took a wave out of the ICI logo for £17m) could even keep a straight face whilst taking the money from these fools - rather than being an opportunity to make money they would have to put a huge amount into the series to pump prime it and convince anyone to get involved. If I was going to put millions into a new road race I'm not sure that I'd bother giving DED some more cash to include an irrelevant name in my race title when its a completely different type of event = I'd just call it the Macau TT or whatever- noting they could do about it. This iidea would be like branding the Skipton cattle market monthly sale as a round of the Pamplona Bull running!

If this had any legs Bernie would have already relieved them of the rights and you'd already be planning for some allnighters!

Lets say I'm luke warm! but then  I'm not a manx taxpayer (if there is such a thing)
03-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Isle of Man TT world series plan remains viable, says minister - by badlyoverdrawnboy - 03-12-2014, 06:17 PM