As I age, I change, it seems
Nasher Offline

Threads: 37
RE: As I age, I change, it seems
Fascinating subject and very subjective - each to their own

I'm 69 years young and my mental age is somewhere in my late teens!

My first TT was 1976 and first Manx in 1981

In my early TT/Manx years it was riding up overnight and then staying in a guest house in Douglas. Riding and partying were the order of the day (basically riding, watching the racing, chasing women and drinking  beer)

As time went by, life got busier and I was financially better off,  I would stay in nice hotels, sometimes with a bike, sometimes on foot, sometimes fly and pick up a rental car. Mainly TT but occasionally Manx

I settled down in the 90's and regularly went with my lady to the MGP with initially me riding up, & my lady taking the car and then both of us riding up on our bikes. Still staying in Douglas, at the Sefton Hotel. We preferred the Manx as things were quieter, but I would occasionally take a short trip to the TT

Single again in the early naughties and very busy at work (I genuinely enjoyed difficult, challenging work that entailed long hours) I used to pop over for a few days to the TT and ride up for a week at the Manx, staying in the Sefton

Once retired and finding accommodation hard to come by  (as someone who lives alone, the thought of homestay didn't appeal - but I've never heard anyone complain about homestay - it's just not for me). As a result, I purchased a VW T5 day van which I converted to a motorcycle carrying campervan. Staying at Peel campsite (and camping, albeit in a campervan for the first time). Having a bike and a campervan for transport was great! From then on 2 weeks at both the TT & Manx and sometimes pop over for for a few days blasting - always staying in Peel campsite

A short while later, I designed a bigger campervan/motorhome (bought a van and paid a local company to convert it to my design) it's also my daily drive. Last year I had the good fortune to have my motorhome, a modern bike and my road registered Honda K4 classic race bike with me for 2 weeks of glorious sunshine - modern day TT perfection, for me

Looking back the IOM has evolved, the TT has evolved and I have evolved. The arrival of package holidays and cheap flights has reduced tourism and therefore accommodation in the IOM. I accept the changes, many not directly related to the races, and keep going back. That said, I always research the rationale for changes and do that before commenting on social media (and let's not forget, this site comes under the social media banner). By looking at the rationale - that includes remembering the IOM is there all the time, not just for a few weeks - I find it easier to accept change. Part of that may may also be down to they fact I worked in IT for the best part of 40 years, where change was the only constant. Even if you stayed in the same job and the same company, most IT jobs changed dramatically every few years

Cost for many is a factor, I spend my money on the things I enjoy: the TT, Manx, motorcycling, paragliding, snowboarding, skateboarding, unicycling, restoring/maintaining classic bikes, chasing women (I can't believe how fast middle-aged women can run these days), drinking beer etc. but mainly, I've spent all my money on motorbikes and women, apart from a little bit I frittered away. But, there are ways to do things on a budget, travelling out of peak periods, booking in advance, camping, eating as cheaply as possible, cut down on beer, etc. it's up to each individual how to spend their dosh

I'm booked for 2 weeks each at the TT & Manx this year and am already counting down the sleeps and will book for 2025 a week before T 2024 begins

PS If anyone has, knows someone who has space in a garage to leave a motorbike on the island for the summer, then please let me know - happy to pay....
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2024, 02:50 PM by Nasher.)
11-02-2024, 02:45 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
As I age, I change, it seems - by H2pots - 10-02-2024, 11:32 AM
RE: As I age, I change, it seems - by ian333 - 10-02-2024, 04:08 PM
RE: As I age, I change, it seems - by H2pots - 10-02-2024, 04:26 PM
RE: As I age, I change, it seems - by sticky - 10-02-2024, 09:55 PM
RE: As I age, I change, it seems - by H2pots - 11-02-2024, 10:26 AM
RE: As I age, I change, it seems - by serowmaster - 11-02-2024, 12:25 PM
RE: As I age, I change, it seems - by Nasher - 11-02-2024, 02:45 PM
RE: As I age, I change, it seems - by Revvin rich - 11-02-2024, 05:47 PM
RE: As I age, I change, it seems - by Nasher - 06-03-2024, 09:26 AM