TT 2024 done.... What d'ya think of that then?
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: TT 2024 done.... What d'ya think of that then?
Some interesting points. For me, the new format is a disaster, but it depends what you attend for. If its just to watch the racing and nothing else, then it does not mater if there is racing scheduled/cancelled everyday.
For all the people who thinks that way, go and ask the shops and traders around the island what they think. significantly reduced footfall and the reduced revenue that comes with it. Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday were the days that events could be arranged around the Island with a reasonable expectation that those days would be free from racing.
It terms of the racing, these are my thoughts.
The Superstock and the Superbike are far to close in terms of performance, there is no need for both, so drop one of them.
Supertwins has become a joke, and has come away from its original intention, cheap racing. Put it back to 650 twin, put a weight and BHP limit on it.
Leave the sidecars as they are.
Introduce a Moto3 class.
Re introduce the production class with minimal modifications. The TMs pedal there bikes around quick enough, 3 lap race would be good.
Supersport is a bit of an odd one as the traditional 600cc in line four is a bit weak from a manufactures point of view, but having a Ducati 959 Vtwin and 750cc inline fours in the same class is just wrong.
I am torn on the Bucket Listers. On one hand, there is a diminishing amount of hardcore fans, but the TT has always had its ebbs and flows in attendance. The Powers that be now demand year on year growth. At some point that will stop naturally. Then what?
It feels that the organisers are only interested in getting people in the Fanzone at Nobles, or in the paddock grandstands/area. you never here any promotion of anything else going on. Did anyone hear any radio promotion of the MGP? But we were bombarded with adverts to come and work/relocate to the island.
Prohibited areas.
Where do I start? I completely understand the need to constantly review these areas. In 1992 for the Senior I was sitting on the grass bank just by the campsite entrance just after Hillbery. I remember the Marshal coming just before the start and telling us to be careful, as if there is an accident at Hillbery corner, we are in the firing line. He advised that our escape route is behind us into the field which has a bit of a drop. I remember thinking at the time that if the was an incident at Hillbery, we are well out of the way.
Well sure enough, Shaun Harris came off, his bike came towards us on the pavement, and we all bailed out backwards into the brambles and the field. I tell that tale as I understand the need for prohibited areas, However.....
I have attended the TT every single year since 1992 for the full race week, including 2001 foot and mouth, and have watched one by one some spots become prohibited over the years for no apparent reason or explanation.
For example some of my previous favourite spots .
Balaspur Farm, the bus stop at Ginger Hall, the laybye at Quarry Bends. The Laybye doesnt even have any restricted notices up, but the Marshals stop you from watching there. Has anyone ever seen or heard of any incidents over the years? I haven't, so why? They are not even in the natural firing line if an incident occurs.
So this year I was making my way to another one of my spots, the beginning of the grass bank on the left to Sulby Bridge, and Boom! Prohibited area. Why?
Change if it improves is good. Change for the sake of it is not. Some things are minor in the great scheme of things. Personally, I do not understand how changing the bright vivid orange of the mile markers to a washed out orange is an improvement.
Regardless of all that is my opinion means jack squat. I think we were previously described by the saviour of the TT as the vocal minority, and not part of there targeted opinion survey.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
22-06-2024, 03:45 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TT 2024 done.... What d'ya think of that then? - by c iom tt - 22-06-2024, 03:45 PM