TT 2024 done.... What d'ya think of that then?
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: TT 2024 done.... What d'ya think of that then?
(26-06-2024, 12:21 PM)civ Wrote: On prohibited areas - there's a very simple reason for them, answered here - https://youtu.be/n5Bi6wiRFN0?si=60yx-E6G9HIzFMM2&t=4030 (1:07:10 if the link doesn't take you right to that part of the video)

(The rest of the interview is well worth a listen too, as are all of Dom Herbertson's podcasts)

That does not explain why some areas have become prohibited. I already gave an example of my experience of an area that use to be accessible, but then became prohibited. The ironic thing there however, was the marshals and the power that be knew that section of Cronk Y Mona was an issue, but continued to let people sit there. I could give you many, many more examples of areas that are now prohibited where previously they weren't, and good reasons why they should or should not be. 
What Gary Thompson is correct about is the one reason the TT would stop, Large spectator fatalities.  
We came very close to it at the bottom of Bray Hill a few years back, but the reality is it could happen anywhere even now where spectators are allowed. 
Why do you think the Heras fencing went up in front of the scoreboards before the scoreboard was eventually removed? That was to protect the Scouts. Scouts had been there previously for Donkeys. Thats one side of the circuit.  We have seen many, many times on short circuits in BSB for example, where the bike has bounced funny, cleared fencing, barriers and ended it in the trees behind the circuit.  Imagine something like that happening on the start finish line an the bike ending up in the grandstand, or the grandstand at the entry lane, Braddan Church, Goreslea, Rhencullen Grandstand, Parlament Square the list goes on and on. Some of us have been coming long enough to have seen some unforeseen accidents. I am not talking about rider error. Wildlife on the Couse have caused some horrific accidents over the years in areas that are not deemed to be needing to be prohibited.
 Again, most people are not aware that there are some areas where the Organisers want to be prohibited, but the land owners refuse them permission. I will give you one example.  The bank in front of the house at Hillbery. If you sit there, the Sector Marshal will get everyone's attention and give a speech on how you are sitting there at your own risk, and the organisers do not want you to be there.
So without being clever, No there isnt a simple reason for them being there. There is a very good reason why most of them are prohibited ( and lets not get on to the restricted areas which are different again)
Bottom line is if you took a risk assessment for the whole circuit, then the whole circuit should be prohibited.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
26-06-2024, 05:45 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TT 2024 done.... What d'ya think of that then? - by c iom tt - 26-06-2024, 05:45 PM