New format, old problems
H2pots Offline

Threads: 19
New format, old problems
Well, the new format worked last year as it were perfect weather. But, as we all know, a perfect weather TT is as rare as hens teeth.

This week, since Sunday, we've not had a race day to schedule... Tuesday lost, Wednesday lost. Now Thursdays racing is three shortened races but i fear we'll fall foul of the weather again.

In my opinion, there's too much in a short source. The old format had much more wiggle room.....
Race Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.... With contingency days following.

We'll see races dropped from the schedule this week i suspect, which is far from ideal for teams that have invested heavily into entering and  running twins and superstockers for two races instead of the standard one.

Maybe the TT is driven by media dictates and a quest for emptying pockets.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
05-06-2024, 07:22 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: New format, old problems
(05-06-2024, 07:22 PM)H2pots Wrote: Well, the new format worked last year as it were perfect weather. But, as we all know, a perfect weather TT is as rare as hens teeth.

This week, since Sunday, we've not had a race day to schedule... Tuesday lost, Wednesday lost. Now Thursdays racing is three shortened races but i fear we'll fall foul of the weather again.

In my opinion, there's too much in a short source. The old format had much more wiggle room.....
Race Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.... With contingency days following.

We'll see races dropped from the schedule this week i suspect, which is far from ideal for teams that have invested heavily into entering and  running twins and superstockers for two races instead of the standard one.

Maybe the TT is driven by media dictates and a quest for emptying pockets.

Every word that you have written is exactly as I think. 
Why there are two Superstock races is beyond me, as 95% of the entry are using the same machine for both Superbike races.
We used to be happy to run just one 600 race, one production race, a 400 race, and two Superbike races (i.e. Formula one and Senior). The organisers are organising an event beyond their organisational ability.
05-06-2024, 09:38 PM
Find Reply
Dogsbody Offline

Threads: 10
Even further back there were six races, 50, 125, 250, 350, 500 and sidecar and there were far far more spectators and nobody said they were too slow and more races were needed.
05-06-2024, 10:08 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
But then some were put off from entering if they only had one bike and the possibility of getting the only race cancelled?

Or similarly wouldn't enter another class for the same reasons.

I don't think you can compare it to days when it had championship points because there was a different motivation to be there.

Swings and roundabouts?
Warning Level 0% since 2006
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2024, 12:20 AM by Sam Pato.)
06-06-2024, 12:18 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Well, Thursday went the way of last few days. Rain putting the mockers on.

We now have a schedule of shorter races for tomorrow..... But the forecast is very very dodgy,,especially early in the day.

Senior been shortened to accommodate a shortened supertwin race.

Saturday is hopefully a decent day, just give us what we really want.... A six lap senior to round off a difficult week.

See you on the island
06-06-2024, 05:57 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 14
Hate to say it but the hurried far too cramped current format is going the same way as The Manx with too many qualifying / racing sessions overly dependent on favourable weather and hopefully no red flag incidents or open road RTA / spillage / emergency vehicle access delays .... the amount of potential practice / race time has not increased correspondingly over the last few years with the amount of reasons why race and practice may be cancelled or shortened..
and those corporate / legacy / advertising / parade laps various should all be held at the same time at the end of practice / race weeks and only IF there is time available - who the holy f wants to see Phil McCallen riding an electric hybrid milk float bike ...........going slowly ???.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2024, 08:52 PM by Alfie Noakes.)
06-06-2024, 08:18 PM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 6
I heartily agree with Splashdown, I would have thought a return to the original format allows for the unpredictable weather which will always be prevalent.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
06-06-2024, 08:53 PM
Find Reply
milestone 11 Offline

Threads: 9
Agreed, far too ambitious. Not happy that 7 racing laps have been scheduled tomorrow, on top of a legacy lap. It's all about the filthy lucre.
06-06-2024, 10:35 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 25
The old format give you days to ride round the island. Attend other events. Which must of help the local economy spending money in other areas especially down south. All we seem to have been doing this year is waiting for announcements. It's been tea quick pint and bed. Then out early to get a spot. I'm definitely not a fan of the new set up. Think the idea is get people on the island for two race days empty there pockets at the dreadfully corporate grandstand then replace them with another lot on a mini brake.
I love the racing but it's a holiday as well. Me and the Mrs like others send a lot of money to get here. You want some time to relax as I dere say do the riders .
07-06-2024, 09:02 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

(07-06-2024, 09:02 AM)Chrisp955 Wrote: The old format give you days to ride round the island. Attend other events. Which must of help the local economy spending money in other areas especially down south. All we seem to have been doing this year is waiting for announcements. It's been tea quick pint and bed. Then out early to get a spot. I'm definitely not a fan of the new set up. Think the idea is get people on the island for two race days empty there pockets at the dreadfully corporate grandstand then replace them with another lot on a mini brake.
I love the racing but it's a holiday as well. Me and the Mrs like others send a lot of money to get here. You want some time to relax as I dere say do the riders .

Good post, sums me up too.

I'm cutting the TT back from this year onwards. I used to like the days off as much as the race days, ride, relax, mooch about, no rush. I'm over for a pre TT classic/ first day of TT practice on the bike then back for a couple of days on foot.

Roll on manx gp, much more relaxed. I can enjoy the riding, the racing, the bikes and the atmosphere.

See you on the island
07-06-2024, 09:55 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Well, it's Friday and we're delayed. Next announcement at 3pm. I'm not confident we'll get to see anything today.

Fair enough, if it's raining then it's a no brainer.

Reading between the lines on whatsapp, i suspect the two races for today are going to be abandoned.

From what I'm gathering, there's not enough marshals for a sunday race. I don't think the tv want that neither, and it's the tv that matters these days.

See you on the island
07-06-2024, 12:20 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Friday racing just gone in the bin. Weather scuppered it.

See you on the island
07-06-2024, 03:02 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 49
I’ve been a regular visitor to the Isle of Man since 1962 and in my opinion, the inconsistent Manx weather is the only consistent factor in all this. I do have some experience in this regard having first competed in the Manx Grand Prix in 1993 and the late August weather is usually worse than that in early June. At that time the practice and race sessions went ahead rain or shine for all competitors be they modern or classic, provided the rescue helicopters could fly. Obviously, that isn’t the case now nor should it be with today’s 200+ bhp powered machinery. Interestingly though, this year some TT races have gone ahead with the ‘usual’ known wet patches in the ‘usual’ places. My point is this, why is the organisation of the TT as a whole, including the practice and race sessions for all classes, dictated by one type of machinery that’s clearly quite unsuitable for the TT Course except in ‘perfect conditions’? I definitely preferred racing in the dry but if a practice or race day was wet but racing was still possible then I’d make the necessary adjustments, go out and ride according to the conditions. I suggest that instead of praying to the weather gods for good weather then perhaps future TT (and MGP) organisers should look again at the race classes and encourage the use of machinery that's both available and more suited to the Course. Maybe make Supersport the main class and also ban the use of slick tyres for the solos? Hopefully these steps could help to make the TT fortnight both more consistent and less frustrating for competitors and fans alike. OK the lap times may reduce but is that such a problem? Of course I'd rather the weather was perfect but then again I’d much rather watch some racing than no racing!
07-06-2024, 03:21 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Busy day Saturday, 2 lap twins race, 2 lap s/sport race and 4 lap senior.

8 laps for most, tough day. Mcguiness will be fresh as a daisy come the senior though.

Let's hope it all goes to plan, on time and safely.

It would be good to have a great day at the end of what has been a frustrating week.

See you on the island
07-06-2024, 05:37 PM
Find Reply
Multirider Offline

Threads: 1
(07-06-2024, 09:55 AM)H2pots Wrote: I'm cutting the TT back from this year onwards. I used to like the days off as much as the race days, ride, relax, mooch about, no rush. I'm over for a pre TT classic/ first day of TT practice on the bike then back for a couple of days on foot.

Roll on manx gp, much more relaxed. I can enjoy the riding, the racing, the bikes and the atmosphere.
I've been coming since 1981 but I probably won't be going to TT any more. I have a lot of friends here now but because of the new scheme I don't have time to meet them. The ruthlessness of the TT organizers is also destroying many other events. The clubs invest a lot of time and effort in preparing their events and then nobody comes because the roads are closed. There were hardly any people at the Ramsey sprint on Thursday and at the Moddey Dhoo bike show I probably only won one prize with my BMW Boxercup because there were so few bikes there.

Next year I will probably go to the North West 200 and from there to the Isle of Man. I will then return home before the TT starts.
Don´t dream your life, live your dreams!

07-06-2024, 09:07 PM
Website Find Reply
excollier Offline
Marshal at NI road races

Threads: 12
(07-06-2024, 09:07 PM)Multirider Wrote: I've been coming since 1981 but I probably won't be going to TT any more. I have a lot of friends here now but because of the new scheme I don't have time to meet them. The ruthlessness of the TT organizers is also destroying many other events. The clubs invest a lot of time and effort in preparing their events and then nobody comes because the roads are closed. There were hardly any people at the Ramsey sprint on Thursday and at the Moddey Dhoo bike show I probably only won one prize with my BMW Boxercup because there were so few bikes there.

Next year I will probably go to the North West 200 and from there to the Isle of Man. I will then return home before the TT starts.

just a friendly fyi about the NW200 (if you haven't been before) - it's a terrible circuit for spectators these days, even as marshals there we are forced behind the barriers with a terrible view of things
=====================

Long live real road racing!!
08-06-2024, 08:46 AM
Find Reply
Multirider Offline

Threads: 1
@excollier: Many thanks for the tip. So far it's just a thought and I've never been there. I will look into the subject in more detail, as I still have some time.
Don´t dream your life, live your dreams!

09-06-2024, 09:19 AM
Website Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 9
Interesting reading all of the above. I too have been coming for years (back of my Dads XL250 in the 70's), and now marshal the event. I was asked several times by locals as to what I thought of the new schedule. In truth I am an admirer of the organisers for taking the TT forward, but with two big caveats.

Firstly, the new schedule does not work. Too many races and on consecutive days. A hostage to fortune. I was there for nearly two weeks and only truly had one free day. Sure there were days where I had no duties, but as we were awaiting the cancellation we couldn't arrange other stuff. I used to enjoy the days off in-between. The island is awesome and the non-racing events were always a big part of the event for me.

Secondly, the safety/care for the marshals pendulum seems to have swung too far the other way. My racing experience is limited to a few years on the shorts, so I will defer to those of you with roads experience. It seemed that twice this time around the days racing was cancelled prematurely. Gary Thompson has done a great job of taking us away from the days when we would sit around at our post for hours awaiting an eventual cancellation. The call is now made much earlier, but I'm concerned it is sometimes too early which loses an opportunity for some action. Also, if the racers are the best then why can they not handle some wet sections? Put treaded tyres on and ride accordingly? Put the right wrist in rain mode. I'm not suggesting going back to the days of racing in bad weather, but the combination of the intensive schedule and cancelling at the slightest sign of damp roads is surely going to lead us to problems almost every year.
09-06-2024, 04:48 PM
Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
(07-06-2024, 03:02 PM)H2pots Wrote: Friday racing just gone in the bin. Weather scuppered it.

That would have seen the senior cancelled on the old schedule Icon_eek
10-06-2024, 01:46 PM
Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
(06-06-2024, 10:35 PM)milestone 11 Wrote: on top of a legacy lap. It's all about the filthy lucre.

This is a really awful accusation to level at the Rutter family. The legacy lap, slotted in where time allowed with no impact on racing times (just as any of these "extra" laps are) was to pay tribute to Michael and his late father and their nearly 60 combined years racing around the course.
10-06-2024, 02:03 PM
Find Reply