TT 2024 done.... What d'ya think of that then?
H2pots Offline

Threads: 23
RE: TT 2024 done.... What d'ya think of that then?
(12-06-2024, 06:48 PM)Nasher Wrote: One surprisingly good thing, was the ACU WhatsApp feed

Agreed, I joined whatsapp for this very thing and it were great. Instant and constant info, early as you like. I saved a lot of wasted time hanging about to find it were cancelled.

It were an excellent service, I hope it's running for the grand prix

=======================================================================
See you on the island
12-06-2024, 10:05 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 493
(12-06-2024, 06:54 PM)Nasher Wrote: A very good point, well made

I'm sure that for those people always wanting to bring back those days, it was the only time they ever saw a naked boob in their entire lives !

😂
13-06-2024, 09:26 AM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 14
Heading back to UK later today ... for me there's far too much going with the increased amount of races which isn't reflected in the amount of potential sessions available including contingency sessions and this year it has been very disjointed and hectic....i've heard chat that the Mountain Rd might be closed much earlier or later on previous day to negate the session losses and delays due to RTC's on open roads, for the life of me I can't see how those poxy parade / legacy laps add anything apart from corporate coin income to the event and there was a 2hr+ gap in between sessions while the Arai thing was going on and having promo / video laps at end of sessions when you're up on the Mountain doesn't add anything to enthusiasm - all these type of laps should have an allocated spot at end of each week so they can all go out together if there's free time with the qualifying / race sessions prioritised.
Having said that and to add balance to discussion the people I've met on my travels every session out in the response car and during down time who are relatively new to the event are quite happy to see any action over a period of 4/5 days or less - this was possibly reflected in the bigger number of signed on marshals available from the very start of practice week.
The whole event has to change / evolve and be marketable etc as we all age as for me there's one very important critical thing outside of insurance and H&S these days which will stop the TT happening very quickly and that is when the Govt Bean Counters decide moneywise it isn't worth doing as a business model.
The racing itself and the physics of it still excite me in the very same way it did many decades ago as a spotty 70's cub/scout on the scoreboards and as others have happily mentioned when out marshalling and for me in response car seeing a variety of new flag stations / specs nothing beats getting close to bikes travelling at speed having serious arguments with the laws of physics and momentum.
Looking forward to The Manx now after what is looking like a bumpy ride this affy on Manannan.
13-06-2024, 10:37 AM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 76
To be honest I'm not in favour of the new format last year was exceptional everthing went to plan this year the inevitable chinks in the armour were found out for me personally there are to many races i might be speaking out of line but its a money making thing the organisers are only interested in bums on seats and when the back log of races mount up it makes for a very long day ive been coming since 1962 and I still get excited about the TT but this new format for me personally is to much.
13-06-2024, 11:04 AM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 37
(13-06-2024, 10:37 AM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: The whole event has to change / evolve and be marketable etc as we all age as for me there's one very important critical thing outside of insurance and H&S these days which will stop the TT happening very quickly and that is when the Govt Bean Counters decide moneywise it isn't worth doing as a business model.

Very succinctly put and imho the sooner the moaners understand this the better.....
13-06-2024, 12:05 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 9
(12-06-2024, 10:05 PM)H2pots Wrote: Agreed, I joined whatsapp for this very thing and it were great. Instant and constant info, early as you like. I saved a lot of wasted time hanging about to find it were cancelled.

It were an excellent service, I hope it's running for the grand prix

That was really useful. Earned me a couple of lies ins!
13-06-2024, 03:19 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 493
(13-06-2024, 12:05 PM)Nasher Wrote: Very succinctly put and imho the sooner the moaners understand this the better.....

You just have to look at Southern Ireland, a few years ago it seemed to be on a roll, with new races & resurrected races, then....nothing, not even UGP, the fastest road race in the world - for now!
I can't help wondering if the TT may change again, when they reclaim that speed crown, as in reduced capacity 'Superbikes', with Supertwins actually being the largest capacity being raced (thinking Ducati 959), but Supersports being as fast as superbikes 15 or so years ago.
13-06-2024, 04:06 PM
Website Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
(13-06-2024, 04:06 PM)captainsparkledotcom Wrote: I can't help wondering if the TT may change again, when they reclaim that speed crown, as in reduced capacity 'Superbikes', with Supertwins actually being the largest capacity being raced (thinking Ducati 959), but Supersports being as fast as superbikes 15 or so years ago.

This is a good question, as there as several people saying there are too many races being run, but nobody has yet put their finger on which they'd drop...
13-06-2024, 08:58 PM
Find Reply
ian333 Offline

Threads: 2
The schedule had to change. Not everyone wants or has time to come to the island for a long time. New fans want to come and see what it is all about before going all in. Since the first weekend is close to/at capacity, enticing fans as the week went on would have been difficult. Now you can at least offer them 2 sets of back to back days. Having the Senior on a Friday and nothing to back it up going into a weekend doesn’t work today. Having races on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday was a horrendous schedule when trying to open the event up to new fans looking to take in the TT for a couple of days.

Sure, if you love it like us, the extra rest day was useful. It’s not about us though. Failure to attract new fans and the event is doomed
13-06-2024, 09:26 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 37
(13-06-2024, 09:26 PM)ian333 Wrote: The schedule had to change. Not everyone wants or has time to come to the island for a long time. New fans want to come and see what it is all about before going all in. Since the first weekend is close to/at capacity, enticing fans as the week went on would have been difficult. Now you can at least offer them 2 sets of back to back days. Having the Senior on a Friday and nothing to back it up going into a weekend doesn’t work today. Having races on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday was a horrendous schedule when trying to open the event up to new fans looking to take in the TT for a couple of days.

Sure, if you love it like us, the extra rest day was useful. It’s not about us though. Failure to attract new fans and the event is doomed

Another good point succinctly made - I'm gonna repeat myself and say:

"The sooner the moaners understand this the better....."
(This post was last modified: 13-06-2024, 09:38 PM by Nasher.)
13-06-2024, 09:37 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
To be fair - the moaning about how 'it's not as good as it was' has been a fixture of this forum since it's inception.

If it stands still - it's finished.
Warning Level 0% since 2006
14-06-2024, 12:00 AM
Find Reply
Hammy Offline

Threads: 7
I think people saying they do not enjoy the event as much as they used to is not moaning , it is a statement of how they feel. I am not sure as to how much the event is funded by the IOM govt. but if visitor spending on the Island goes down during the event their justification for further funding may come under pressure. The trend for 4-5 day visits may increase with the advent of live action on TTPlus and reduced price offerings from the Steam Packet for TT Taster trips. All of this will surely reduce the revenue from visitor spend and fuel the anti-TT residents on the Island.
There are many facets to change which effect outcomes.
14-06-2024, 07:59 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

(13-06-2024, 08:58 PM)civ Wrote: This is a good question, as there as several people saying there are too many races being run, but nobody has yet put their finger on which they'd drop...

See post no8

See you on the island
14-06-2024, 08:02 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

I know it's not a popular opinion but I wouldn't shed a tear if they got rid of the chairs, as much as I admire the skill and courage of the crews taking part, they aren't motorbikes and this is a motorbike event.
14-06-2024, 11:17 AM
Find Reply
Mike34 Offline

Threads: 5
Just wondering,
In race week Monday was a perfect day, weather wise. No racing according to the schedule. However we, more or less knew, the weather for the rest of the week would be challenging.
Why not bring some racing to the Monday so stay a bit ahead of schedule?
14-06-2024, 11:19 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

I heard rider fatigue mentioned which kind of makes sense given that they had afternoon and evening practice on Friday, practice session and 2 races Saturday and 6 laps on Sunday.

I've often questioned why the never move races forward and always get told you can only move back, not forward, but I could swear a few years back at the 'old' Manx GP they brought the Senior forward to the Thursday over weather fears and lack of marshals.
(This post was last modified: 14-06-2024, 11:30 AM by AntG.)
14-06-2024, 11:27 AM
Find Reply
Spartacus Offline

Threads: 13
(14-06-2024, 11:19 AM)Mike34 Wrote: Just wondering,
In race week Monday was a perfect day, weather wise. No racing according to the schedule. However we, more or less knew, the weather for the rest of the week would be challenging.
Why not bring some racing to the Monday so stay a bit ahead of schedule?

My thoughts too. The weather was forecast to be ropey from the Tuesday. It would have made sense to run on the Monday.
(This post was last modified: 14-06-2024, 12:24 PM by Spartacus.)
14-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Find Reply
Spartacus Offline

Threads: 13
(13-06-2024, 09:37 PM)Nasher Wrote: Another good point succinctly made - I'm gonna repeat myself and say:

"The sooner the moaners understand this the better....."

I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It.
This moaner spent over a grand getting to and during my 8 days at the TT.
Surely people who spend their hard earned cash have their right to an opinion?
14-06-2024, 12:38 PM
Find Reply
ian333 Offline

Threads: 2
The road closing order as it relates to contingency days is predicated on lost sessions etc. I am sure this is something that could be changed by the govt going forward if there was a desire for it.

It is all very well if you are on the island asking for races to be pulled forward. Can’t imagine ever going to a sporting event/concert only to get there and it has already occurred. Additionally, sponsors pays a lot of money and have invited guests in place for the race.

Rightly or wrongly, weather forecasts that give even a chance of threading the needle will always be the preferred path is my guess.

Great point about rider fatigue AndG.
(This post was last modified: 14-06-2024, 12:42 PM by ian333.)
14-06-2024, 12:41 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Guess it's difficult to bring races forward. Rider fatigue will be a factor and machine prep will also be another.

The mechs are busy with multiple bikes to prep and refresh during a tough fortnight event.

See you on the island
14-06-2024, 12:41 PM
Find Reply