Back in the day
H2pots Offline

Threads: 23
Back in the day
This had me chuckling. Couple of YouTube videos from the 90's outside bushy's in Douglas....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKZ5BI49aY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1HqiUeKpyg

TT much more spread round the island nowadays but back then, most stayed in and around Douglas.

The nights on Douglas front were hilarious

=======================================================================
See you on the island
22-06-2024, 10:54 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 14
RE: Back in the day
Those nights were fabulously spontaneous and generally well mannered but getting more raucous each year ... one thing I remember before it all stopped was a van full of laughing reprobates driving through the Bushy's burnout smoke and just stopping, you could tell there was serious mischief afoot by their laughter then the rear doors opened but nothing came out.......a big whhhooooff followed as they sparked up a hot air balloon burner horizontally out of the back of the van ...... Plod weren't majorly happy with that...
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2024, 11:28 AM by Alfie Noakes.)
22-06-2024, 11:26 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 23
I recall Gary Rothwell doing an impromptu stunt display outside bushys, with the roads open and normal traffic passing by.

He were so good, they paid him for the year after and closed the road.

Then came the jet quad and the russ swift rally car thing.

Great nights, long gone

Check this one, had me laughing....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1HqiUeKpyg

Do you remember when the rozzers would kidnap a bikers girlfriend and take her off in the van. All in fun

=======================================================================
See you on the island
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2024, 11:50 AM by H2pots.)
22-06-2024, 11:48 AM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

Threads: 4
used to have some good nights in the palace lido

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
22-06-2024, 09:01 PM
Find Reply
Spartacus Offline

Threads: 13
We stopped going to Bushys when they introduced the £3.00 entrance fee. Had some great times there.
24-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 76
I had some great nights with my mates in the dogs home  and yates wine lodge some of the antics were hilarious not by me I might add  it was what made the TT speacial back then its not quite the same these days  but I might be wrong.   Icon_biggrin
24-06-2024, 06:39 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
The spontaneous shenanigans on the sea front (with topless pillions thrown in every once in a while) were a huge part of what made the TT special for me when I started going in the 90's.

But then life was a bit more fun in general at that age too.
Warning Level 0% since 2006
25-06-2024, 12:10 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 49
I enjoyed the quality of earlier press coverage which was far more thorough than today's with both detailed and accurate reporting of all the races and, more importantly, all the racers. Quite a contrast with today when only the leaderboard runners are focussed on with the others hardly ever mentioned. I also enjoyed the multiple on-course commentary points now limited by the incredible speeds of today’s machinery.
25-06-2024, 08:52 AM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 25
Not being on face book my self so not 100% sure how it works. But couldn't they have a independent page for the likes of churches or bike meets and other events could put events  up for people to see. As the main stream  stuff is full of monster energy promo events.
Personally I'm not a fan of the new format. It leaves you tired at the end of the two days and if it runs into the 3rd as it did I was nodding of during the race. I know I could drink less go bed early but I'm on my holidays so that's not going to happen. Next year I will take my chance get to my chosen viewing spot later and take the chance I can see some of the action. Maybe even  miss a day or dip in and out from the outside of the track and have a bit of a ride round .  The organizers have a difficult job and people running out of talent trying to get to spots doesn't help. Iv really no answers unless the reverted to the old format. Maybe combine the 600 and super twins class to a street speck machine. 600cc 4 or 750 triples made un faired machines . With no mods allowed unless it's for safety reasons. So it would look more like the old AMA stuff. Or better still just 70s and 80s super bikes. Them was the days
25-06-2024, 01:41 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 9
(25-06-2024, 01:41 PM)Chrisp955 Wrote: Not being on face book my self so not 100% sure how it works. But couldn't they have a independent page for the likes of churches or bike meets and other events could put events  up for people to see. As the main stream  stuff is full of monster energy promo events.
Personally I'm not a fan of the new format. It leaves you tired at the end of the two days and if it runs into the 3rd as it did I was nodding of during the race. I know I could drink less go bed early but I'm on my holidays so that's not going to happen. Next year I will take my chance get to my chosen viewing spot later and take the chance I can see some of the action. Maybe even  miss a day or dip in and out from the outside of the track and have a bit of a ride round .  The organizers have a difficult job and people running out of talent trying to get to spots doesn't help. Iv really no answers unless the reverted to the old format. Maybe combine the 600 and super twins class to a street speck machine. 600cc 4 or 750 triples made un faired machines . With no mods allowed unless it's for safety reasons. So it would look more like the old AMA stuff. Or better still just 70s and 80s super bikes. Them was the days

Much of the other stuff used to feature in the programme from decades ago. Beach races, the sprint etc etc. The new format has scuppered all of that.
25-06-2024, 05:36 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 25
I probably posted my last message on the wrong thread .
I remember the lido in the 80s. There was a green Kawasaki  11R in the foyer. To win it you had to balance a trail bike for as long as you could with one push. By the end of the week. The Kawasaki had mirror indicator and all sorts missing. People who had crashed there bike used it as a parts bin. Also the crashed bikes on the prom with a bucket in front of them. There was always a sign 3rd party insurance only and still on finance.  The fast or well off lads always stayed at the Blossoms. There  was Moto Martin CBX s and Rickmon Kawasaki's  parked on the grass. 1984 and 1985 there was a fleet of GPZ900Rs their
.Was it the lido that had the flags hanging from the roof beams? Or was it summer land ? Someone would always climb up onto the beams and pull down the flags. Of course the door men would be waiting for them when they got down.  I'm sure MCN took over one venue and Superbike magazine the other. I'm going to my shed now for a little cry. Iv just realized I am now officially a old fart.
25-06-2024, 07:27 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(25-06-2024, 07:27 PM)Chrisp955 Wrote: I probably posted my last message on the wrong thread .
I remember the lido in the 80s. There was a green Kawasaki  11R in the foyer. To win it you had to balance a trail bike for as long as you could with one push. By the end of the week. The Kawasaki had mirror indicator and all sorts missing. People who had crashed there bike used it as a parts bin. Also the crashed bikes on the prom with a bucket in front of them. There was always a sign 3rd party insurance only and still on finance.  The fast or well off lads always stayed at the Blossoms. There  was Moto Martin CBX s and Rickmon Kawasaki's  parked on the grass. 1984 and 1985 there was a fleet of GPZ900Rs their
.Was it the lido that had the flags hanging from the roof beams? Or was it summer land ? Someone would always climb up onto the beams and pull down the flags. Of course the door men would be waiting for them when they got down.  I'm sure MCN took over one venue and Superbike magazine the other. I'm going to my shed now for a little cry. Iv just realized I am now officially a old fart.

It was Superbike Magazine took over the Lido and brought a real life Tina Tail pipe on stage for the Miss Wet T Shirt competition. We use to do a lot of work in there on the Sound and Lights and had access to back stage etc
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
25-06-2024, 09:15 PM
Find Reply