Kursaal Flyer!!!
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 534
Kursaal Flyer!!!
Happy Birthday!
Are you still lurking?
I've just been re-reading your exploits from 9 years ago!,
 I'd love to know how you're getting on these days? (I'm sure I'm not the only one!)

https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/showthr...?tid=20815
15-08-2024, 08:59 PM
Website Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 534
RE: Kursaal Flyer!!!
Welcome back!
I read the story again, with renewed interest, as I started doing a few local hillclimbs/sprints just a few years ago, aged 58.
Never having done any form of motorsport before, for the majority of my early biking years I rode British/ Harley/ custom bikes & tended to take no interest in racing at all!
I wish I'd started 40 years ago, I might have even been good at it now!
All good fun, I won fastest pre 1960 at Leighton Hall for 2 years in a row, until this year when I was soundly beaten into 2nd! 
(I'm going to have to so something about those 750cc pre 1960 Triumphs i.e. convert my 650!!)
Good to hear from you, maybe our paths will cross one day, 
hoping to do Curborough next year, that'll be as far South as we go!
20-08-2024, 05:36 PM
Website Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
RE: Kursaal Flyer!!!
Hi.

Kursaal Flyer reporting. Still here still enjoying two wheels in one way or another. I find it hard to believe that it is 9 years since I did my newcomers. But the whole Manx experience will be live in my heart forever. I was very fortunate to get in through the window while it was open, a shame but I think 64 year old riders are not going to get in now. 

I have gone back to my two wheel roots and I am mostly involved with scooter sport one way or another. In 2019 I set four new FIM world records on a scooter standing and flying 1/4 mile and 1 kilo , the best run a two way average speed pass on a full bodied Lambretta at just under 110 mph. I have been quicker but you can only do what you can on the day when the officials are on duty, there was an unhealthy cross wind which tightened my grip to the seat! 

I still race with the BSSO mostly at BHR meetings and at Cadwell this year I missed and overall race win by around a tenth of a second. 

Last weekend I was sprinting in the classic sprint in Betteshanger park near Deal, bloody good fun pitching a scooter against the bikes in the upto 500cc class.

I also got involved riding with a team doing scooter endurance racing in Europe we got some good results, I loved it, its a real team sport everybody is involved. So much so I now organise similar events here in the UK and in a few weeks I have 29 teams competing for 8 hours at Teesside.

Even at 73 I still have boxes I have not ticked yet. I would have loved to have returned to the Manx on a 250 but the Island is a cruel master and felt it unfair on family to chance my arm again.

Back as the flyer...
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
(This post was last modified: 20-08-2024, 09:47 PM by Chris_Sav.)
20-08-2024, 08:15 PM
Website Find Reply