Main Features Interviews Forums Shop Links Contacts

Visitor Info
TT History
TT Map

Martin Claims Southern 100 Championship

Author: Superbike News/Phil Wain
Posted on: Saturday, Jul 18 2009

Thursday's feature race was, arguably, one of the best ever witnessed in the 64-year history of the Southern 100 as Guy, Ryan Farquhar, Michael Dunlop and Conor Cummins battled constantly throughout the 9 laps. With perfect conditions on the Island, positions were exchanged at nearly every corner but in the closing stages Guy managed to get a small gap over his pursuers and although Farquhar closed rapidly on the final lap, Guy just had enough to hold him off, getting the win by 0.163s; indeed, less than three quarters of a second separated the quartet at the chequered flag.

Earlier in the week, the races had been almost as hectic and in Tuesday's opening Superbike race it was a three-way dice between Guy, Farquhar and Cummins. The lap record was repeatedly broken and Guy led on the final lap but Farquhar was in determined mood and squeezed by at Castletown Corner to get the verdict by just under three tenths of a second. It was a similar story in Wednesday's second Superbike race as Farquhar again overhauled Guy on the final lap and he had to settle for second once more.

In the Supersport 600cc class, an engine problem on the first night of practice meant that a new one had to be shipped over in time for the first race but, having worked his way up to third, the bike expired on the fifth lap promptly catching fire! Subsequently, he had to miss the second Supersport race.

With a win and two seconds during the week, it was a happy Guy that said:

"I love the Southern 100, it's my favourite meeting of the year and after all the second places over the years, it's mint to finally win the main Championship race. It certainly wasn't easy though and all of the Superbike races were flat out all the way but I managed to hold Ryan off and finally get my hands on the trophy. He was riding really well all week and certainly made me work for it but we got the job done and after just losing out to him in the two races before, this time it was my turn to win."

"The 600 blew up on Monday and then in the race it started getting slower and slower so I pulled in at Ballabeg after it nearly pitched me off the corner before. I got going again but as I went through the Black Hole there was a massive bang and that was that. No sooner had I parked up though the old girl burst into flames and there was no fire extinguisher around so all the spectators started throwing their water, coke, juice, beer and anything else they had at it in order to put the flames out!"

"It was a great week, just me, Kate and Danny, and there was a lot of banter throughout so we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Huge thanks to George Peach and the boys for putting on a terrific meeting and I'm now looking forward to Kells. It will be my first Irish National road race for a couple of years but there's no pressure on me and I'm just looking to go there and have a good time."

The Kells road races take place this weekend with the races being held on Sunday.

View all news articles

TT Website All Rights Reserved