Main Features Interviews Forums Shop Links Contacts

Visitor Info
TT History
TT Map


Author: Press Office
Posted on: Tuesday, Jun 01 2010

Just as the weathermen predicted, heavy morning rain and fog dispersed as Tuesday wore on and by 5pm, the majority of the Isle of Man was blessed with bright sun and clear blue skies, ideal weather for the second official practice session of the 2010 Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy. However, the rain that had fallen for much of the night and morning meant that, whilst most of the course was dry, damp patches did remain, particularly under the trees and riders were warned to be cautious with the track particularly wet at Ramsey Hairpin. Visibility was good all round the Mountain Course although riders also needed to be vigilant with the evening sun.

After the extremely rapid speeds of the opening night, many were wondering if the 130mph barrier could be broken as early as Tuesday but that was far from the mind of the riders who were simply concerned with getting miles and laps under their belt and ensuring machine set up was the prime focus.

The session got underway exactly on time at 6.20pm and, once again it was Michael Dunlop who was first to set off down Glencrutchery Road, this time alongside Bruce Anstey, the pairing on their Superstock and Superbike machines respectively. Keith Amor set off next, having his first outing of the week on his 600cc machine, with Cameron Donald, the Aussie again electing to take his Superstock Suzuki out first. Guy Martin was on his Superbike as was Gary Johnson but Michael Rutter, Dan Stewart, Adrian Archibald, Ian Hutchinson and John McGuinness all opted for their Superstock machines. Meanwhile, Ryan Farquhar and Daniel Kneen were both Supersport mounted.

Anstey was first back, lapping at 123.357mph with Dunlop slightly slower at 122.406mph but it was Martin who was again fastest on the opening lap, recording a speed of 125.028mph. Hutchinson and Johnson were both over 123mph with Archibald, Rutter and Stewart all over 122mph. Farquhar was the quickest of the 600s at 120.665 just ahead of Amor at 119.800mph. Jim Hodson was in trouble early on though pulling off the course at Barregarrow.

Martin and Anstey were circulating at high speed at the front of the field and they both went quicker second time around at 126.752mph and 126.244mph but the damp patches were clearly evident though with Hutchinson and Rutter in the 121mph bracket. McGuinness had problems though and his second lap on his Superstock bike was only 112.11mph, the Honda sounding sick as he cruised across the line. Amor was getting more dialled in on the HM Plant Honda Superbike though with a lap in excess of 124mph whilst Conor Cummins was the quickest of the 600s on the second lap at 121.04mph just ahead of William Dunlop and Farquhar but Michael Dunlop again finished fastest overall in the Supersport class with a time of 122.728.

Hutchinson went back out on his Superbike and was quickest through the Sulby speed trap at 189mph recording 126.566mph and then 128.017mph to again be the quickest on the night. Michael Dunlop was quickening his pace too at 125.688mph with Amor going quicker still at 126.043mph. Indeed, most riders opted to take their Superbike out later in the session giving the track that little bit more time to dry out with Donald again lapping above 127mph but Martin and Rutter were out on their Superstock bikes, the latter improving to 125.429mph.

David Johnson was again the quickest of the newcomers with a very impressive 116.284mph but all of them were improving steadily, Stephen Thompson again second best but going quicker at 114.293mph. Herve Ganther, Clinton Pienaar and Brian McCormack were all above 107mph with David Jones, Brandon Cretu and Daniel Cooper all going well on their 600cc machines.

In the sidecars it was Dave Molyneux and Patrick Farrance who were quickest, lapping at 113.050mph on their first lap and improving to 114.355mph second time around. Behind, it was close with Simon Neary/Paul Knapton posting a best lap of 112.661mph followed by Klaus Klaffenbock/Dan Sayle at 112.647mph and John Holden/Andy Winkle on 112.260mph. Conrad Harrison/Kerry Williams were also above 110mph whilst Tim Reeves/Dipash Chauhan had problems before leaving the line although they did eventually get two laps in, the second just above 107mph.

American Jimmy Vanderhaar was reported as walking back following an incident at Governors Bridge. Chris Bradshaw sustained a shoulder injury at Keppel Gate and sidecar duo Glyn Jones and Jason O Connor were reported to have ankle and hand abraisions respectively following an accident at Lambfell Mooar.

View all news articles

TT Website All Rights Reserved