Main Features Interviews Forums Shop Links Contacts

Visitor Info
TT History
TT Map

Tributes for Wirral solicitor Malcolm Kirwan who died in tragic circumstances

Posted on: Thursday, Jan 20 2011

Tributes have been paid to a lawyer who worked for one of the biggest solicitors’ firms in Wirral.

Malcolm Kirwan – the brother of solicitor David Kirwan, who is senior partner at the family law firm Kirwans – died on Friday, January 7.

He leaves behind his wife, Linda, whom he was married to for 26 years, and a 16-year-old daughter, Robyn.

Last night, David Kirwan said: “Malcolm’s death has come as a great shock to myself and the family.

“He was highly respected in the legal community and in motorcycle racing circles for more than 30 years.

“I am very saddened. It is a great loss.”

Mr Kirwan, who was 62 when he died, was born and lived in Wallasey all his life.

He went to Calday Grange Grammar School and went on to serve time and qualify as an engineer.

Despite his apprenticeship, he decided to join the family law firm and trained to become a highly respected personal injury lawyer.

Away from the workplace, he had a passion for motorcycle racing, a hobby he shared with his brother, David.

He competed in the Isle of Man TT and the Manx Grand Prix races and other prestigious international events where he won many trophies.

Reading a eulogy at his funeral, which was held at Springwood Cemetery, in Allerton, last Wednesday, David Kirwan said his brother had doted on his daughter and was proud especially of her talents and academic achievements.

He added: “As brothers, we were always there for each other.

“He will be remembered for his patience with others in trouble, his abounding generosity and above all his loyalty to friends.

“There was no malice in Malcolm. He had a kind word for everyone. He will be greatly missed by all.”

It is believed Mr Kirwan took his own life. The matter has been referred to the coroner and an inquest is expected to take place.

Merseyside Police confirmed that officers were called to a house on Elleray Park Road, in Wallasey, on the morning of Friday, January 7, and found the body of a 62-year-old man.

A spokeswoman said: “Police are not treating the death as suspicious and have referred the matter to the coroner.”

View all news articles

© TT Website All Rights Reserved